Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Introverted Bride vs. Special Event or Wedding


Are you an introvert?

 Are you someone who feels their energy drain the more you are surrounded by a group of people? Does the thought of a large party make you anxious? Do you prefer the company of yourself rather than others?  Chances are, you are an introvert (there is a great facebook page for introverts- “Introverts are awesome”, please check it out if you suspect yourself as an introvert and want to join a community of introverts). So, if you are an introvert, how can you thrive during your big day?

How to thrive during your special event or wedding:

First, I am an introvert, so I know this situation too well. I knew my wedding was going to be an amazing experience (I enjoyed design and planning so much I launched a wedding planning company, Amazing DIY Events). Having said that, I knew that the time leading up to my wedding and my wedding day itself would be stressful  and highly social. To combat my anxiety and allow myself time to recharge, I created a plan. I am going to share a few tips I did, and some tips that I give my introverted brides before their big day:

1)      You MUST plan time for yourself! You will be inundated with teas and rehearsal dinners and time with your family and friends before the wedding (especially a destination wedding). You must be true to yourself and give yourself the time to recharge in between these events. Give yourself time every day to recharge. Don’t plan events one right after the other. Limit them to one or two a day, to allow you to relax in between them.   On your wedding day, give yourself a good few hours before you meet with your bridesmaids to get ready. I didn’t have my bridesmaids meet me until 12, giving me the morning to reflect, recharge, and prepare for my big day. It was exactly what I needed.

2)      Give yourself SPACE. When you do meet with your bridesmaids, try to book a two room suite so you can step into the other room if you need. At your venue, find a place that is “yours” that your guests aren’t allowed to enter (or deter them away from the location.  Being the bride or guest of honor, you will be surrounded by smiling faces the whole time. Plan in advance where you will go if you need to relax for a few minutes.

3)      Explain your plans to your closest friends and family- if they know what you need, most likely they will want to help you feel comfortable (or at least not be offended if you all of a sudden rush off).

4)      Hire a planner who understands you feelings as an introvert. An overly extroverted planner may make you feel anxious or misunderstood (and many planners are extreme extroverts). I hired someone who was introverted as well, and we immediately connected. She knew what I needed and was able to help me.

As a fellow introvert, I understand the anxiety and trepidation with a special event or wedding. Amazing DIY Events understands the needs of introverts and is ready to help with your wedding or event. We ensure that you have everything planned, including time to yourself. We also attend anything with you if you need support with any meetings with your vendors. We also provide e-mail correspondence or telephone conversations in lieu of meeting in person.  We will work with you to make your day amazing.

Message us on our facebook page “Amazing DIY Events” for more information. We offer customized packages, starting at $300 for day of coordination services.  Good luck with your plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment